International property group Lendlease wanted a dynamic, energetic workplace for its Sydney HQ – somewhere that would inspire their people and strengthen bonds and teamwork across every level of the business.
Lendlease wanted to create a high-performance workplace that exudes energy – a place where people want to be, where they feel inspired and where collaboration comes naturally each day.
The workplace delivers on those goals and more. It makes health a priority, with dual internal stairs promoting constant movement and natural light and plants – including a double-storey green wall – blurring the line between inside and out.
Lendlease is the developer of Barangaroo South in Sydney – one of the most significant waterfront regenerations in the world. The company moved its head office to one of three commercial buildings on the site, with Hassell engaged to design their new, agile workplace.
Team-based working for 2,000 people
The Hassell design responds to Lendlease’s aim to “encourage greater connectivity between our leaders and people” and to make health a priority in all aspects of the workplace, which brings together around 2,000 employees from five different locations.
Within the workplace, employees are not tied to an individual desk. Instead, they belong to a ‘team studio’ or ‘neighbourhood’ of 15 to 20 people.
Each of these zones has immediate access to a wide range of functional spaces for everything from group brainstorms to tasks requiring quiet concentration.
Giving back more space for staff and guests
The efficiencies Hassell developed and tested through the design and planning process allowed for one floor plate to be ‘given back’ to Lendlease, resulting in a hub floor for staff and their guests.
This hub includes event and bid spaces, a health retreat, an IT service point and an externally operated café at the heart of it all.
Bringing the outside into the workplace
The design blurs the distinction between inside and outside, with natural light and greenery visible and accessible from all parts of the workplace.
Even high up in the tower, the workplace feels in tune with the Barangaroo waterfront rejuvenation and creates a motivating, healthy place for staff to work.
Health at its heart
– 6 Star Green Star Office Design rating from the Green Building Council of Australia.
– Highest honour in Green Building Council of Australia’s internationally recognised sustainability-rating system
– 40% of work settings are stand up desks
– 1000 bike racks for staff in the building
– Dual internal stairs – a key element of the design – promotes constant movement and interaction through all 11 floors
– Social zones near the stairs are visible from above and below, drawing people through the workplace
– Garden zone at the perimeter of every floor forms a working ‘retreat’
– Australia’s first breathing wall with 5000 plants is the heart – and literally lungs – of the office
– Diverse spaces include ‘working walls’ for visual communications and ‘pods’ for quiet work
Project: Lendlease Global Headquarters, Sydney
Design Studio: Hassell
Photo Credit: Nicole England